Our sinful nature is so ingrained, that it requires a sincere desire and a willingness to do what it takes (in cooperation with God's Spirit of Holiness) to weed out a lifetime practice of impure thoughts and actions.
Here are five steps you can take toward removing sin from your life and your relationships:
1. Recognize what you are dealing with as sin...and repent. - Get alone with God and seriously repent of your sins until you feel a peace in your heart. Call your sins and rebellious acts by name when you repent. Specific prayers get specific answers. Remember, when you repent, you are always forgiven, so refuse to accept condemnation. - Romans 8:1
2. Quote and memorize scriptures. - Spend time digging in the Word, meditating, praying, and in uplifting Christian fellowship. You've spent years daydreaming and culminating in the wrong directions, now it's going to take good time management to counteract the effects of that wasted time. Print out the Helpful Scriptures (see below) and carry them around with you. Say them out loud (even if at a whisper) several times a day. These are truths and promises from God that can provide mental, spiritual, moral, and emotional healing. Read over these verses at least two or three times a day until they become a part of you.
3. Remove every "fuse-shortener" in your life. (See below) - Without hesitation or compromise, to continue to play around with even one will slowly eat away at you and block total genuine victory in this area. Remember, small compromises lead to big troubles. In one brief moment of compromise, you can undo what God has worked on for a long period of time.
4. Get an accountability partner. - Find a brother/sister in Christ (same gender as you), and say "I've made a commitment in the area of [whatever] and would like you to support me in this. I would really appreciate it if you could just pray for me and call to check on me, to make sure I'm doing alright.
5. If times of failure come, stay down only long enough to repent! - One of the biggest lies we ourselves is that "God is tired of my constant failures and doesn't want to hear from me anymore." Forgiveness isn't based on whether or not you deserve it. If that were the case, none of us would be saved in the first place.
- After repenting, (whether you feel forgiven or not), get back up, dust yourself off, and keep going.
- Refuse to accept guilt.
- Figure out why you fell.
- Keep spending time in prayer, in the Word, and in Christian fellowship.
The Principle of Fuse-Shorteners
A fuse-shortener can be any one of three "P's". Those "P's" are a; person, place or pattern that triggers areas of compromise in your life. There may be nothing wrong with this fuse-shortener in and of itself. The problem lies in what it leads to!
This is a suggested list of verses you can use to get started. Remember that praying Scriptures to the Lord is very powerful. Try to choose one a day and start memorizing it...roll it over in your mind (meditate)…say it aloud...visualize these verses moving and working in your life...etc.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV
But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you will not give into it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT
And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. Psalm 119:32 NIV
For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 1 John 5:4 NIV
So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7 NLT
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. Romans 16:20 NLT
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 NKJV
And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again. Philippians 1:6 NLT
If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up. Psalm 94:18 NKJV
And now, all glory to God, who is able to keep you from stumbling, and who will bring you into His glorious presence innocent of sin and with great joy. Jude 24 NLT
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever. Psalm 138:7,8 NKJV
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him. James 1:12 NIV
This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same temptations we do, yet He did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it. Hebrews 4:15,16 NLT
He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:29-31 NKJV
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 NIV
Use every piece of God’s armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Ephesians 6:13 NLT
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 NKJV
For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey Him and the power to do what pleases Him. Philippians 2:13 NLT
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39 NIV